Saturday, March 12, 2011

Water, Water, Everywhere!


Wow!  Another rainy and warm day.  Monday we had almost 3 inches of rain and on Friday 2 3/4 inches more!  Add to that the melting snow and the water was deeper in the swamp and the bottom of the pasture than I have ever seen.  The water in the pasture was probably between 5 and 6 feet deep in the southwest corner where the culvert goes under the railroad tracks.  I could see the top couple of inches of a corner post for the fence and if I remember correctly that post stands about 5 1/2 feet tall.  The water was gushing through that culvert as well as heading north across the hay field and going through the culvert up there.  Incredible.  The swamp looked to have water way out into the hay fields on the west side of the tracks.  I know that in the morning I had to make several detours with my school bus to avoid flooded roads.  This was a little bit of inconvenience on our parts, but it does not begin to even compare with the devastation that they are experiencing other places in the Northeast and certainly nothing of the magnitude of the destruction that Japan has experienced with the earthquake and tsunami.


But on the plus side, most of the snow is disappearing at a rapid rate.  The days are getting longer and the sunshine stronger.  While the Farmwife and I were taking a walk this afternoon with Daphne, I was seeing lots of clover leaves starting to poke up through the dead grass.  Soon the calender and the day length will tell us that Spring has arrived and the grass will really start to wake up and turn green.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment